Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Enough With The Transfers Already...I Have To Focus On My Anniversary

Ten years. This February 5th, it will be ten years since I married my beautiful, amazing wife. When I sit and think about the past ten years...I think at first that it has simply blown by way to fast. But then my memories start to really take hold and time starts to slow down in my mind. And I mean SLOW DOWN...like a Heinz ketchup bottle leisurely dripping its delicious sauce from atop a tall apartment building and onto my hot dog. Which randomly reminds me of this commercial...


Omigosh! That's Matt Leblanc!  But I digress...

My wife started out as my friend. And after some long nights sitting and talking at Waterfront Park, and walking and more talking through Downtown Charleston, she became my best friend. We had a lot in common, so naturally we had quite a bit to talk about. One great gold nugget of knowledge that I found out about her was that she was a soccer player. Not only did she play, but she was a champion. And I saw the plaques on the wall to prove it. This was a serious turn-on. I was starting to have quite a bit of trouble containing my emotions around her (and about her).  I was seriously falling in love with her. And I came to a point where I simply couldn't hide it any more. Things were moving along swiflty. Shortly after we started hanging out, I had moved in with her. And the really cool stuff started happening. (Mind out of the gutter, please) 

One day I came home and I had a moment. Kind of like when you have that moment of realization.... like when the lightbulb pops on over your head, or when the heavens shine down on you to light your path forward...and at that moment, I knew that I wanted nothing more than to marry this absolutely gift of a human being. 

You ask, what was this moment? Well to be truthful, it was a series of moments that had been building to a crescendo culminating in a harmonious moment of true symphonic exhilaration. I came home one day and my future wife was watching soccer on tv. Not only was she watching the match, but she gave me the play-by-play, catching me up to speed to the 65th minute of Liverpool vs Everton. I loved Liverpool. And I loved her. Oh...how I loved her.  Even though she supports Man Utd. (yeah, haha, have a laugh won't you)

So this may not be a completely forthcoming history of all the ins and outs of our love life and marriage (again, get out of the gutter). In fact, it is nowhere near the large body of work that our love's history would require me to honestly chronicle in whole.  But it is an insight into what got us off on such the right foot. Soccer. It's the passion that we started out sharing and continue to embrace together today. And we share our love with our friends and our family. We now have two little ballin' rugrats that are sure to carry on our futbol legacy of love for a long time to come.

So it's our ten year anniversary. Over the past decade together we've seen Liverpool win the European Cup the Super Cup and the Champion's League among other great moments.  And yes, I guess that we've seen Manchester Utd win a few games here and there too...its really not important. Thankfully, I have been blessed to have her share my intense love for DC United. I don't think I could have been able to deal with the past couple of MLS seasons without being able to have her shoulder to cry on.

I truly cannot and do not want to imagine what my life would be like if I did not meet her at a bar, in an ally, off of John Street one spring night in Charleston. I am blessed. And for the next ten years, I am going to do my best to make sure that she know how much she means to me. She certainly has shown me over the past ten years how much I mean to her. I get to go play footie whenever I like. She lets my life revolve around the beautiful game just as much as it revolves around her and our family. Love and Soccer, two amazing gifts that my wife has given me for ten years. Add in the babes, and my last decade has been a dream. So again, for the next ten years to come, I have a mission to fulfill. My duty is to honor her by being the best that I can be for her, for our kids, and for the game.

So here you go babe. I love you. I tried to be more romantic by finding you something to do with Man Utd...but alas, there is nothing out there even remotely romantic in regards to those blokes. But these fellas should do just fine. They happen to be Tottenham Supporters, but hey...at least they aren't Chelsea or Arsenal fans...

No comments:

Post a Comment