Monday, January 3, 2011

So Happy!

What a WONDERFUL way to ring in the New Year!  Thanks to Joey Cole, Stevie G, and Nando for making it an extra special day in my household! Well more so just for me...you see, the Mrs. is a Man Utd fan and my son is leaning towards Chelsea. (While I do encourage his independent thinking, he is still young and one can hope that he may see the light soon enough!)

If you missed the game, it was a return to joy for the boys in Red.  I loved to see the combo of Lucas and Meireles in the middle. They have had good communication and coverage in prior games. I am not sure why Roy hasn't played them together more often.  It was a shame that Raul had to leave the match, but was very happy that Gerrard came in to do some hard work and touched the gaem once again with his class and ability. What a day.... 

But first things first...what an absolute gutted feeling I had when Bolton scored that goal. I mean, jeeeeesh...what a downer.  Just before halftime and during a stretch that had you just feeling that Liverpool were going to break through at any moment.  But when that ball was sent in with such pace and determination, it was hard to imagine a good outcome.  And once you saw Glen Johnson getting beat to the ball...it was all over.  At that moment I was so very tempted to dismiss the whole season as a complete loss. I was done.  And along with me, it seemed that Anfield was done too. It was so quiet in the stadium when that ball hit the back of the net. With the defense standing there scratching their heads. The look on faces of the coaching staff said it all, "Holy Hell. What in the world are we going to do?" It was almost one of those moments right before you really throw up, and you do just a little in your mouth. And you get that nasty stomach acid taste in your mouth that just makes you yearn for an apple juice or some whiskey to wash it away.

But just as quickly as Davies scored for Bolton, Lucas had a sitter and just pushed it wide of the goal.  Maybe some more playing time would help his in-game form. Dunno.  What I do know is that I need to move the couch back from directly under my ceiling fan. It has become a danger as I have found myself jumping so high when I get excited, that I almost knock it loose and crashing to the floor on top of me.  It has become a common occurrence when I am watching footie. So best bet would be to move the couch prior to matchtime.

But then it all became beautiful after halftime. The skies grew bright blue and the sun shone down upon my living room with such heat and warmth. I suspect that a million other Liverpool fans shared that exact moment with me.  What a moment! What an amazing service! With what any Stevie G fan would measure as definitely a classic pass, Torres found himself on the end of it, taking the volley and blasting it to the top shelf.  But lets back up a second. This was not just a famous Stevie to Nando connection. This was a great team effort starting with Glennie Johnson lobbing the ball forward to Ngog; Ngog chests the ball into the path of Gerrard; and the one time swerving beauty of a ball into the box for Torres to bang it home from a full volley. This was a goal that I, nor any Liverpool fan will forget for a long, long time.  Torres' finish was so perfect. I watched the replay about 30 times with my son. Absolutely clinical strike technique from Fernando.  As of publishing this blog tonight, I have now watched the goal 38 times. Obsessed much? Yes.

What struck me so was a quick camera cut to some of the the Reds that were away from Torres and his celebration.  What I saw was a group of players that looked so unbelievably happy and relieved.  But more importantly, I could feel the confidence exuding from the Reds. I could feel what they were feelign right then and there. It was that knowledge that, hey...we can play some ball. This game is different everytime we play it. You never know for sure which way that the ball will bounce on any given day. I felt that Liverpool felt that they were going to be okay. And at that moment right then, I didn't feel worried.  Whether or not this was brought on by the rush of adrenaline and/or endorphines pumping through my already alcohol infused bloodstream. I don't know. I mentioned that the skies went blue and the sun shone down as well...but my wife informed me that it was very overcast at gametime. Maybe its all in my head. So what?!? It's my head, and I like what I am feeling.

So as the game continued on, it looked as thought the best we were going to get out of the day was a draw. You know what? I believed that something was going to happen. I just knew that we were going to come out on top. And aside from my dog, kids, and wife...no one else knew what I knew. I really wished I had a line to a local bookie. 'Cause you know what? I would have bet the farm on the 'Pool.  And I would've won big.

With another sensational cross from Mr. Gerrard - 
(break for our favorite Stevie G song...) 
"Steve Gerrard, Gerrard
He'll Pass the ball 40 yards
He's Big and He's F***ing Hard
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard"

and throw in
my favorite Nando song to boot-
"His armband proved he was a red, Torres, Torres
you'll never walk alone it said, Torres, Torres
we bought the lad from sunny Spain
he gets the ball and he scores again
Fernando Torres, Liverpools number nine"

So....back to the finish that sent me into the heights of ecstacy that carried me trhough the rest of the day on a high only equal to my experience of roving the Appalachian Trail with a band of hippies surviving on trail mix, MDMA, and mushrooms. Wait...that wasn't me.  (I have an image to uphold...or do I...)  But anyway...

JOEY COLE WITH THE WINNER!!!!  JOEY COLE WITH THE WINNER!!!!
In my mind, I did a double front flip with a twist. I couldn't believe it. And I could care less about the offside. God Blessed us with a momentary no-call from the referee and we got the win! I loved it. 

Now lets see what happens this week. Roy's got a long way to go. But for now, I am living in the moments of Liverpool vs Bolton on Jan 1, 2011. I know those guys on the Reds are living it over and over as well. 


Check out the highlights at Fox Soccer

No comments:

Post a Comment